Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Header Ads Widget

HOW MUCH ICE MELTED ON EARTH IN 23 YEARS

WHAT IS GOING ON?
A total of 28 TRILLION TONNES OF ICE have disappeared from the surface of the Earth since 1994 as per the UK scientists who have analysed satellite surveys of the planet's poles, mountains and glaciers.
HOW MUCH  ICE MELTED ON EARTH IN 23 YEARS  ICE  MELTED ON EARTH IN 23 YEARS

WHAT CAUSED THE MELTING OF ICE?
The scientists - based at Leeds and Edinburgh universities and University College London wanted to measure how much ice coverage was lost because of global heating triggered by RISING GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS.

WHERE DOES MELTWATER COME FROM?
"A total of 54% of the lost ice was from sea ice and frozen ice shelves, these float on water and their melting would not have con tribute to sea level rises. The other 46% of meltwater came from GLACIERS AND ICE SHEETS ON THE GROUND and they would have added to sea level rise." said Leeds University researcher Isobel Lawrence.

MELTING OF GREENLAND ICE SHEET
A report released in Dec'19 concluded that Greenland was losing ice 7 times faster than it was during the 1990s.

Amore recent study published from the Ohio State University also warns that the glacier is melting at such a rapid rate that it may now be PAST THE POINT OF NO RETURN

THE WARNINGS
Reduction in the planet's ability to reflect solar radiation back into space

White ice is disappearing and the dark sea or soil exposed beneath it is absorbing more and more heat, further increasing the warming of the planet

Major disruptions to the biological health of Arctic and Antarctic waters


Post a Comment

0 Comments